Thursday, January 24, 2008

Please Pass the Calories!

Pshew.

I have not done a 3,000 yard workout in a looooong time. I feel completely drained. We'll see how much energy is left for my tempo run, later.

Warm up
100 SPK

Drill Set
50 6/6, 50 3/3*
50 fingertip drag, 50 regular swim
50 catch-up, 50 regular swim
50 fist swim, 50 regular swim

Main Set
7x200 on 4:30**
7x100 on 2:15

Cool down
50 easy swim

*For the 6/6 drill, start by floating and kicking gently on your side. Kick for 6 beats, then take one stroke to switch onto your other side. After 6 beats, stroke back to the first side. The 3/3 drill is the same, only you stroke every 3 beats. Think of it as swimming with an exagerated glide.
**I actually switched to a 5:00 interval about halfway through, to give myself more time for rest (I was swimming the 200s on about a 4:20). Use an interval that will give you 15-30 seconds rest.

This was the first week I managed to get my intervals workout in, and boy was it a killer. I'm a little discouraged that my times are so slow . . . 200s in 4:20? 100s in 2:05? My goal is to get my 100 time to a 1:45-1:50 average. But I guess as a starting point, it's not bad. I just need to keep thinking about working with where I am, not where I want to be. Like I want to be averagin 20 MPH on my bike rides, but if I try to ride that fast right now, I probably won't be able to hold it for more than a few miles at a time. It's hard to make myself slow down, do what I need to do, and wait for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment