Sunday, July 12, 2009

Race Report: Shawnee Mission '09

I experienced something at this race that I've never experienced before.


Cancelation.

Yes, Shawnee Mission was completely and decidedly rained out. There were no ifs, ands, or buts about it. There was thunder and lightning that made me regret being outside, and this is coming from a Kansan who has experienced lightning and thunder and softball sized hail and tornado threats and snow gales the likes of which most coastal Americans will never see. And I'm not really interested in risking my life to do a race, even if it is one of the most highly-anticipated races on my schedule. The cancelation was a good call.

But it sure sucks.

And the worst part is that this is totally a momentum buster, season-wise. I was supposed to have two peak weekends, back to back. Now I only have one. Bummer.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's awful. You must be so disappointed. All that mental preparation and anticipation that goes into a race with nowhere to go. At least you had a good race last week. All you can do is just keep looking forward to the next race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would be so disappointed. you (and my mother friends who do Tri's) are wearing me down, I am thinking of signing up for one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, sorry to hear it was canceled! It definitely looks nasty out there though. Right call for sure. Still a bummer though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer. Don't waste all that training. Once it clears up, go out and do your own self-supported tri!

    ReplyDelete